Thursday 25 April 2019

Premise - Adobe Animate 2D Animation Test

Main Character 2D Animation Test

Today I played around in Adobe Animate and created a small animation of the main character of my premise project. It's been a while since I've used 2D Animation software so it was a little challenging to create this animation. I decided to choose some of my storyboards as a reference as I thought it was important to create my animation tests based on scenes that might be in the final product.

StoryBoard Referennce

 I think 2D Animation could be a really fun way to bring my main character to life as the character is a 2D drawing and I feel like it would make more sense to animate them using 2D rather than 3D. However, I did find this process challenging and time-consuming. I found that I kept changing the proportions of the character and everything in general looks a bit sloppy and messy. I think a sketchy/messy look could fit the aesthetic of my film quite nicely, but it still needs to look somewhat more polished and smooth. I'm a little undecided on how I feel about 2D at the moment. 

If I were to go forward with using 2D animations for my main character, I would have to learn how to become more proficient in using Adobe Animate for sure. I'm going to be carrying out a few different tests using different animation styles and techniques using this same scene so I can easily compare the different styles and techniques.

2 comments:

  1. Just a note of caution, Noah - you need to ensure you put 3D at the heart of this project and ensure you're not swerving the very skillset you're trying to graduate with, right? I think this animation is cute, but there's a whole exciting pipeline based around getting this character with all his sketchy charm into 3D in a way that really works - and really challenges and tests you and does away finally with the folklore about 'you and Maya'... :) You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I wanted to test out what 2D would look like as I was curious to see if it would look interesting to have a combination of 2D and 3D (using 2D animation for the main character and 3D for the artist character) but I’m definitely looking into 3D as well for the main character. I’ll be working on some toon shader tests today to try to figure out how to use 3D but still make the character look more illustrative :D

    ReplyDelete