Friday 10 January 2020

Minor - Toon Shader Test #2

I've been having a hard time getting the textures to look okay on my Sketch models. I've tried a few different methods and never really liked the outcome. However, I'm pretty happy with this test. I changed the colour of the base of the aiToon shader to a bright green colour. I then created a large plane, placed it behind my character, and changed that to a green colour too. I made some simple animation of sketch moving across the screen so I could quickly test out this method. I rendered the sequence and put imported it into Adobe Premiere to chromakey the footage.


Frame from Render Sequence

I used a free to use image for the background that looks similar to the set of my animation. This was my first time using a green screen to edit but I found it surprisingly easy. I think this method could be great for my animation as I'll be able to have the toon shader outline, but would still be able to have a paper-like texture on the character that doesn't warp or move (Which it did when I experimented with adding a paper texture to the character.) I'll be able to test out this method properly when my characters are fully rigged and I can make some animation tests, although this is the only method I've used so far that I actually feel positive about.


Chromakey Test
The only issue I've been having with this method and with Sketch is that whenever I try to render an image sequence, Maya has either crashed or has caused my entire computer to shut down. I've had this problem whenever I've tried to render characters with the aiToon shader on it, no matter what kind of tests I was doing. I've looked into how to stop Maya from crashing and one method was to make sure that Autodetect Threads was turned off in the system tab of the render settings. This is the only thing that has gotten me to be able to render anything with a shader on it, however, my computer will still crash after about 30 frames have been rendered. This is a bit worrying as I need to figure out how to be able to actually render my character properly in order to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment