Monday 11 February 2019

Premise - Initial Ideas

Here are a few of my initial ideas for my premise project, I'm finding it a little difficult to set things in motion, hopefully I'll settle on an idea soon as I'd really like to get things going a lot sooner than they are right now.

Idea 1 - Develop my Character Design project:

An animated short set in 1920s Paris, in Art Noveau style. A story about a human and a ghost that fall in love. The human works as a Moulin Rouge dancer that hates her job. the Ghost, an aristocrat's daughter from the late 1800s, stabbed through the heart by her own father. The ghost shows the human how to find confidence, and in return, the human shows the ghost the "modern" world.

This is my least favourite idea as i don;t think i am as passionate about it as my other choices, but i would also be happy to work on this idea if neither of my other ideas work out.

Idea 2 - "Safety Dream"

A short animation about a conversation I had with my dad about anxiety, he showed me the seven steps I need to take to calm down when i'm feeling anxious.

1. Breathe in through your nose
2. Push your stomach out
3.Breathe out slowly through your mouth
4. push your shoulders down
5.Sink
6.Safety dream

He explained to me that a "Safety Dream" is a safe head space that he thinks about when he has difficulty sleeping, which is something I have struggled with my entire life, and I like the idea of exploring what my safety dream or what other people's safety dreams are. However after discussing this with Alan he warned me to not go down the 'dream' route as this theme is rather overused and cliche. There could be another way to talk about safety dreams without making the animation about dreams, I could simply animate what to me, is my safe head space. Or perhaps an informative video using the seven steps my dad gave me to deal with panic attacks. The only issue with this is that I'd really like to create some kind of story for my third year project, I wouldn't really want to make an informative video. I'm a little stuck on this idea as I'm not really sure what I actually want to create/what point I'm trying to make with the animation.

Idea 3 - Working with Music

This is the idea I have thought about the most, but also may be the most trickiest to pull off, so i need to understand what my limits are, and try not to aim for something unrealistic. This idea somewhat uses parts of the 'Safety Dream' Idea. I'd like to create an animation to accompany a piece of music, the only issue is, i still haven't found a song/piece I would like to use. I need some advice about the legality of using music as I know I can't use any music that has been copyrighted. I would love to reach out to a composer and create an original song for the animation, as I'm aware that this has been done before on the course, but I'm not sure who to reach out to. For now I have been listening to non-copyrighted music and classical music. For now I have been developing what I would like the animation to be about, instead of focusing on what song I would like to use, as this has already held me up longer than I would have like it to.

Similar to my "Safety Dream" Idea, I would like the theme of the animation to be about anxiety. Anxiety is often portrayed through jarring, chaotic imagery, people often associate anxiety with panic attacks, freaking out, and chaos. I'd like to be a little more abstract/subtler/gentler in the way that I portray anxiety. I would like the video to be about a journey of overcoming to reach a destination, I have thought of a couple ways that I could show this.

1. Showing a character going on a literal journey, having to overcome obstacles like harsh weather, possibly foes that represent different aspects of anxiety etc. Along their journey they come across people that resemble friends, tutors, parents, that help them overcome their anxieties and reach their destination, the destination would symbolise them being on the right track to overcoming their anxiety.

2.The character is trapped in a house, this, for me personally, is something that makes me extremely anxious. When I was going through hard times, I would lock myself in my room and wouldn't accept help from anyone. It took a lot of time for me to be able to open up to other people and accept help. The house would symbolise my anxiety. The character would start out weak confused and lost in a chaotic house,  full of dead ends, doors that lead to no where, stairs that go on forever, small claustrophobic rooms etc. The character also has a rope tied to their leg, symbolising a force that is holding them back from escaping, I also thought that this force could possibly be their shadow, or some kind of creature. as the animation progresses they try to remove the force. The more control they gain over the force, the more the house starts looking like a normal house, and the animation ends when they eventually escape, and walk out into a peaceful, bright outdoor scene. This would symbolise getting rid of people or habits that are holding you back from improving your mental health.

I'm not feeling too confident about any of my ideas right now, and could do with some advice on how to get back on track, whether I should keep trying with these ideas or try something new all together.

Here are a couple of animated music videos that inspire me. I would like to use songs similar to these for my animation, But I have also looked at classical music because I think, depending on the piece, it could accompany my animation well.



This video uses 2D animation, but I love the colour palette, and the simple story, that can be interpreted by the viewer in many ways.



I like this video because it is again, simple, and conveys a message about mental health, but is subtle in the way that it shows this.

Here a few pieces of classical music that I like that I think would fit in with my animation:






After discussing what music I should use with my Dad, he recommended that I listen to Debussy's Preludes, Children's Corner, Satie's Gymnopedies, Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues.

I'm not feeling too confident about any of my ideas right now, and could do with some advice on how to get back on track, whether I should keep trying with these ideas or try something new all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment