Friday 28 December 2018

Character Design - Expressions

 In this character design class, we looked at expressing emotion/ facial expression. We were first given the task to take two emotions and draw someone/something expressing that emotion. I was given 'Surprised' and 'Anxious'. These emotions are rather similar, so it was difficult for me to make it obvious that this character was feeling both of those emotions. I drew his eyebrows raised but also slightly turned up, to try and indicate that he was surprised, but also nervous/anxious. I also made sure his mouth was open but was downturned, and that his eyes were wide but slightly manic as if he has been surprised by something rather unpleasant.


 We were then asked to try and bring a still object to life using expressions and emotions. I was given a chair. At first, I drew a posh, fierce looking chair, a grumpy sofa chair, and a rather chipper armchair. I decided out of all of these, I preferred the posh chair, as I liked how I could work the facial features into the structure, rather than just draw eyes and a mouth straight onto the chair like I did with the sofa chair. 

I developed the snooty chair a little further by drawing some more emotions like surprised/shocked, disgusted, angry and judgemental. I imagine that she is a rather feisty chair that doesn't let just anyone sit on her, and is probably from a very fancy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment