Monday 14 January 2019

It's A-Live! - Live One Day Challenge

In this character design session, we were split into teams and given a children's TV show. Each of us had to create new characters to be introduced to the show; a mentor, a sidekick, and a villain. The show my team was given was 'Trollhunters; Tales of Arcadia". I was responsible for creating the mentor character. when thinking about our characters, my team wanted all of our characters to be connected somehow, so that they could all be introduced to the show in the same episode. The concept for the episode is that the mentor character is kidnapped by the villain, when the heroes become lost, the new sidekick helps them out in an unexpected way.  This meant we had to somewhat think thoroughly about our character's backstory. The character I created is called Aaliyah Hana, or Miss Hana. She is a new teacher working at the heroes school. She gains the main heroes trust and gives him advice and guidance. Below is a scan of the final turnaround of Miss Hana in her work attire. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to also draw a turnaround of her past self, Guinevere.

Miss Hana Turnaround

However, Miss Hana has a secret. Her real name is Guinevere, and she used to be a knight of Camelot. The show 'Troll Hunters' features a few characters from Arthurian Legends, such as 'Merlin' and 'Arthur Pendragon'  That were essentially the original Troll Hunters. I thought it would be interesting to add this twist as some of the feedback I got from Justin was that the teacher character was a little boring and wouldn't translate well into merchandising. Below is a scan of the first concepts I drew of Miss Hana, as well as some rough notes about her character.


Early Concepts
We had to think about how to make merchandise suited for children from these new characters, so I Sketched up a couple concepts. For Miss Hana, her journal, which is filled with activities to do with the show, and some glasses that when you wear them, the lenses are blue and when you look into the light, you see the villain's face. This is a reference to when Miss Hana is captured by the villain. The Guinevere toy is slightly more exciting, It's her glowing sword which also features a hidden compartment in the gem on the hilt of the sword.

Toy Designs - Miss Hana's Journal and Glasses, and Guinevere's Sword


Next on the 'Clients', (a.k.a Justin) list was concepts for a playset. My concept was a set that you can flip over so it becomes another set. This double-sided set would show Miss Hana's Classroom, and Guinevere's study, for when she was still a knight of Camelot. We were also asked for some action poses, so I drew her as both Miss Hana and Guinevere, to show how drastic her transformation from a knight to a teacher is.

Guinevere Action Pose and Playset Concept - Miss Hana's Classroom

Play Set - Guinevere's Side

Action Poses
Lastly, there are a couple of experimental sketches where I tried to recreate the 'TrollHunter' style and apply it to my character, But I didn't really like how the turned out. I think they took a bit of personality away from the character. I'm happy with how my character turned out though, and I enjoyed presenting all of our characters with my team to Justin and my year group.

Experimental Style Sketches

No comments:

Post a Comment